Guidance for Parents
Updated February 2020
We will always aim to stay open, whatever the weather.
If there is severe weather:
- To allow for a safe journey to school we may operate a flexible opening time from 8:45 - 10:15 am.
- Children will be allowed into school on these days from 8:30 am.
- Children arriving by 10.15am will not be marked as “late” or “absent” in the register and on reports.
- Children should arrive suitably dressed for outdoor activities.
- If it proves necessary to close the school, parents will be informed by Gateway, website, and social media.
- Parents may also register on the Everbridge system for updates. See below on how to register.
- If we are unable to guarantee to provide a hot (or even cold) school lunch, we will advise you to send your child in with a home-packed lunch, which they can bring home again if Hertfordshire Catering is able to operate as normal.
We use the HCC system for notifying parents of school closure. HCC has recently changed the provider for notifying parents of school closures, and you will need to register to receive messages. This is recommended, as when every school is trying to get messages to parents, there can be connection difficulties due to the volume of “traffic” through the HCC internet firewall.
The link will direct you to the “Sign Up” page where you should click on the “sign up” button located at the top right-hand side of the page on the grey strip, and from there follow the instructions.
It should take no more than 5 minutes to register and you can edit your information at any time should you change your mobile number or email address.
Each contact within the system can have 2 devices added for each communication type if you wish– this means that in addition to adding your own mobile number and email address, you could include the mobile number and email address of a partner, grandparent or childminder in your registration process. They too would then receive any messages in relation to the school’s closure. Alternatively, interested parties could register themselves separately.