Nursery school children aren't entitled to free school meals.
Reception, Year 1 & Year 2
Your child can get a FREE lunch at school if they're in Reception class, Year 1 or Year 2.
And if you register, your school could get extra money to help pupils.
Be sure to have your National Insurance number or Home Office number to hand when you apply.
Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 & Year 6
Your child could get a free school meal if you receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and you don't get more than £16,190 a year)
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit (with annual earned income of no more than £7,400 after tax and not including any benefits you get).
Apply today if you receive any of these benefits. It takes 5 mins and in most cases, we can tell you straight away if your child can get free meals at school.
Be sure to have your National Insurance (NI) number or Home Office number to hand when you apply.